Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Grow Healthy This Spring

Spring is here! Now I know that we might not be feeling that as we sit shivering
under our blankies with a hot water bottle but there is one way to know for sure and
that is to take a look into your garden.


Our garden is full of the joys of spring at the moment with the daffodils all finished
but the bluebells and tulips lighting our day up with all their colour. The cherry and
apple trees are full of blossom and I always know when it’s getting warmer-I have to
mow the grass more (bugger!).


Now is definitely your chance to grow healthy, literally…you can start growing your
own veggies.
I am a garden novice as I only started growing my own herbs and veggies last year
but I can tell you it makes you feel really, really good to pick beautiful vegetables
and fruit that you have grown yourself. Not to mention the amazing burst of flavour
that you will get from home-grown, no more soggy lettuce that comes from the
supermarket.


It seems daunting at first but take it from someone who is not green fingered it’s
actually childsplay. That’s right get the kids involved too. Then they can eat the
cherry tomatoes off the vine and learn that peas don’t actually come in a plastic bag
but a wonderful little green bag of their own.


You don’t need much room-there are lots of things that you can grow in pots, this
year I have planted cherry tomatoes, basil, coriander and lots of rocket and spinach in
pots that live on the deck so I have easy access for salad ingredients. My broad beans
and the first lot of broccoli are well under way and we will be feasting soon on our
own onions and all sorts of lettuces.


The point of my going on is that growing your own vegetable garden is easy, cost
effective, tasty and while you are out in the garden you will be burning calories!!
What more could you want…any questions please let me know as I would love to
help anyone get started with their own little bit of paradise.


Claire from Contours Manukau.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like This!